Auckland Recommendations


After being asked countless times for recommendations around the city, I decided to set up a section in this blog dedicated to my top picks for breakfast, lunch, dinner and everything in between. Hopefully this will be helpful for next time you're stuck for ideas when dining out in Auckland.

Breakfast/Brunch: 
  • Odette's Eatery: Beautiful food and delicious coffee. Would definitely recommend trying the crepes or the Odette's Complete. Especially on a nice sunny day when you can sit outside. 
  • Winona Forever: Such a groovy cafe with a stunning interior. The food is just as good as the decor, especially the 'The Eton Rifle' which is an incredible french toast stack! Pricing is really reasonable too. 
  • L'oeuf: This is such a nice little cosy cafe in suburban Mt Albert. They have a very egg-heavy menu and great Atomic coffee. Definitely try 'The Architect' for a classic breakfast. They also have delicious cabinet food! The chocolate banana bread is amazing! 
  • Fred's: This little hidden gem just off Ponsonby Road is a great spot to grab breakfast and one of their delicious hot chocolates. They also have stacks of great reading material to keep you entertained while you eat. 
  • The Raw Kitchen: This is a fantastic spot for a nice healthy takeaway breakfast. I'd recommend the granola with raspberry chia and coconut yogurt. So tasty and super filling. 
  • Rosie: Although Rosie is open all day, I think it's the perfect spot for breakfast. The house-made crumpets are amazing and the service is really friendly. 
  • Little and Friday: The menu for breakfast is usually pretty limited but still definitely a place to go for delicious food and incredible Supreme coffee. I would recommend the toasted muesli with rhubarb and coconut yoghurt. 
  • Dear Jervois: A cult classic in Herne Bay, Dear Jervois is known for its tasty food and delicious coffee. I would highly recommend the Matcha Waffles they are incredible! 
  • Crave: For quality food in a cosy setting check out Crave in Morningside. My two breakfast favourites on the menu are the french toast and the eggs benedict (benediction) with bacon. Coffee is Supreme and really good too. 
  • Hugo's Bistro: Definitely one of my favourite inner city eateries. I had the coconut yoghurt tamarillo and granola and it was just delicious. Click here to read my full blog post on Hugo's. 
Lunch:
  • Takapuna Beach Cafe: This place has the most beautiful views and the most amazing food and coffee. Love this place at any time of day but it's particularly nice at lunch time especially on a sunny day. Check out my blog post for more details.
  • Cali: This is a great spot for a lunch break while shopping up a storm in New Market. I'd recommend the smashed avocado - it's got to be one of the best I've ever had. It's also got a massive drinks menu with heaps of delicious options.
  • Ortolana: Beautiful food and the most stunning setting to match. It's a great place to have lunch particularly on a clear sunny day when you can sit outside. Last time I was there I had the agnolotti and it was divine!
  • The Store: The takeaway end of The Store is the perfect place to get a bite to eat during a day at work or uni. I love the granola cups and the salads. Check out this blog post for more details. 
  • Homestead Company: Set in the beautiful Pah Homestead, this cafe is a must go if you are on the hunt for a meal with a view. Definitely try and get a seat outside on the deck which looks over Monte Cecilia Park. 
  • Ampersand Eatery: Ampersand is a welcome newcomer in Orakei Bay Village and provides a nice spot for fantastic food and coffee and stunning views of the Bay below. I would recommend the smashed avocado it was just to die for!
Dinner:
  • Depot: Some of the best food I have ever eaten. One of my favourite dishes is the wood-fired chicken and the turbot sliders are a must-buy too!
  • Amano: Amano has the most beautiful decor and high quality food. I loved the angus sirloin and the house made sodas are delicious too. You can check out my most recent blog post for a in depth review on Amano. 
  • Ostro: A great place for a special occasion or fancy meal. Ostro in the Seafarers building has stunning views of the Auckland harbour and incredible food and wine. I'd definitely recommend treating yourself to the 'Bombe Alaska' for dessert. 
  • Blue Breeze Inn: The best pork steamed buns in Auckland! They have an extensive menu with heaps of delicious options for reasonable prices. 
  • Federal Delicatessen: This is probably one of my favourite places to dine in Auckland. Fed Deli has a really awesome atmosphere and a great selection of both sweet and savoury food. I would recommend the bottomless filter coffee, the poutine, and the three-way with the NY cheesecake, pumpkin pie and banoffee pie as must-buys. The lemon sole is also great for all you seafood lovers. 
Cheap Eats
  • Best Ugly Bagels: Massive selection of bagels with prices starting at just $4.00. My favourite has got to be the T.A.B (Tomato, Avo and Basil). It is SO good!
  • Vulcan Lane Bagels: Vulcan Lane is another one of my favourite bagel places but this one is even better for those working/studying in the CBD. The avocado smash is one of the best bagels I've ever had and it only costs $7.00. 
  • Britomart Country Club: The wood-fired pizzas at Britomart Country Club are so good and such a good deal. Prices start at $8.00 and these pizzas are the perfect size for sharing. I loved the Margherita which was $12. 
  • Paradise: If you are on the hunt for tasty Indian food, I would recommend Paradise in Sandringham. They have a huge selection of curries as well as a dine in, buffet and a takeaway store. 
  • Chinoiserie: From the same owners as L'oeuf, Chinoiserie offers a menu with a range of Asian fusion snacks. I definitely would recommend the pork belly bao ($8) and the chicken popcorn ($12). The menu is perfect for sharing. 
Sweet Treats:
  • Giapo: The perfect place for a slightly different ice cream experience. Prices start around the $8 mark but are definitely worth it. My favourite ice cream flavour has got to be either the Giapo Bueno or the Afghan flavour. 
  • Miann: The ideal spot for a fancy dessert matched with a delicious Supreme espresso. The macarons are delicious and the ice creams are just to die for! 
  • Little and Friday: By far the best doughnuts in Auckland. My favourite has got to be the cream and jam, but the chocolate, caramel and peanut doughnut is also delicious!
  • Moustache: Some of the most incredible cookies I've ever tasted. I would recommend any of the flavours but I particularly love the Nutella cookies!
  • Little Bird Organics: If you're looking for more of a guilt-free treat then Little Bird is the place to go. I would recommend the raw caramel slice. So good!

Comments

Popular Posts

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *