Summer Series Interview #2 - Charlotte & Maddie

Maddie Hunt & Charlotte Brown, My Kitchen Rules NZ Contestants


This week I had the chance to have a chat with the gorgeous Maddie & Charlotte, who competed as a team on the latest season of My Kitchen Rules New Zealand. 19 year old Charlotte, is officially a qualified chef holding a diploma in level 5 Culinary Arts and 20 year old Maddie is currently studying Law at university.  Throughout their time on My Kitchen Rules, the girls showed how their age didn’t define them when it came to cooking well and they were able to put up some fierce competition in the instant restaurant round. 

So first off, tell us a bit about yourselves? Where are you both from and how did you meet? 

We are both from Auckland and met in high school in 2012. We have been pretty much inseparable ever since and we do pretty much everything together! We are both very different and opposite which we have come to realise more and more as time goes on,  but we think that is why we get along so well and rarely fight! 

When did you both start cooking? 

M: Charlotte started before me, a couple of years ago. I sort of took it up as a hobby and something to do together about a year ago and we both just loved it! 

C: I started cooking when I was in year 11 because my Grandad got sick and Mum was taking care of him so she would cook dinner late. I decided to take charge and cook dinner and have loved it ever since. 

What’s your favourite thing to cook/bake? 

M: My fave thing to make is omelette! It sounds super easy but I really feel like I nail it and am famous for them in my family. It kinda allows you to be creative in the simplest of ways. 

C: SALMON. Anything salmon. I’ll bake it, steam it, poach it, pan fry it or just eat it raw. Yum. 

How did the whole MKR experience come about, why did you apply? 

C: Well I got tagged in an application on Facebook and have been a fan of the show since forever so I was like why not?!

M: Charlotte saw an ad for it on Facebook and was like “Maddie we are doing this.” We had watched it together for so long, so it was kind of a no brainer. We do everything together so I wouldn’t have let her do it with anyone else!

What was your favourite part of being a part of the show? 

M: I would say meeting the contestants. They have turned out to be some of the coolest people I’ve ever met and the friendships are something that will last well beyond the show. 

C: Cooking for strangers and Pete & Manu with cameras in my face and getting to do it with my best friend! 

I loved the sound of your menu and how you had so many different elements, textures and flavours going on in each dish. How did you come up with the menu? Particularly the green tea pannacotta, popping candy, bacon crumb and chocolate “dirt” dessert!?

M: This was Charlotte’s forte! She’s super creative so I was like,  “you go to town and create something that reflects us and our friendship.” The fun, flavour and kinda craziness of it definitely showed who we were which was super cool. 

C: I actually created it. I learnt food pairing last year and figured weird ingredients actually compliment each other... so I literally made that up and they seemed to love it. That made my year! I love creating food with a point of difference!


Do you have any advice for other young people interested in entering MKR next season? 

M: My advice is DO IT. Even if you are unsure just go for it. Everything falls into place if its meant to be and its an experience that will definitely change your life for the better. 

C: GO FOR IT. It will change your life. 

Thanks so much to Maddie and Charlotte for joining me this week on the Summer Series. Stay tuned for next weeks interview with Amanda Vale, an amazing Girl Boss & owner of the most dreamy platter company, Celebrate. 

Hope you all have a lovely Christmas break!

Ruby x



Comments

Popular Posts

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *