Homemade Pasta with Simple Tomato Sauce

Wow, it's been so long since I've sat down and written out a post for this blog! This month has been insane busy with exams, packing up my flat, and moving back home for the summer break. However now I'm free of uni (for a little while at least) and I'm ready to get stuck in on this blog and create some quality content and posts for you all to read.  I thought I'd kick off with one of my favourite meals I've made this year. It's super simple, easy, cheap & most importantly delicious!



RECIPE: 

Pasta: 
- 2 eggs
- 100 g semolina flour
- 100 g plain white flour
(or rather than semolina you can just use 200g of plain flour)

Place flour in a bowl or on a flat surface and make a well in the centre. Add the eggs to the well and then stir gently with a fork and then eventually just with your hands to form a dough. If the mixture is too dry  gradually add small amounts of water until it forms a firm dough. Knead for 5 minutes on a floured surface and then wrap in glad wrap and put it in the fridge for half an hour.


Roll out and then cut into the shape you want. This obviously works best with a pasta machine but a rolling pin and a bit of perseverance will also do the trick! If you are on the market however for a pasta machine, Stevens has a few on special right now. Once you have rolled and cut your pasta, it's best to let it hang separately for a few minutes to dry out. I don't have a real pasta dryer so I'll usually just use a clothes rack, and it does the job perfectly!




Once the pasta is dry, heat a pot of water to a boil and add a sprinkle of salt. Once the water is boiling add the pasta and keep a close eye on it. Fresh pasta cooks much faster than dry pasta, so about 1-2 minutes should be long enough. The pasta should be cooked till it is 'al dente' or still firm to bite.


Simple Tomato Sauce:

- 2 cloves of garlic crushed and diced finely
- Half a brown onion diced
- splash of olive oil
- a few leaves of basil
- can of tomatoes
- salt & pepper

If you're looking for a flavoursome but easy sauce to match with your pasta this is definitely the one for you. This can be switched up easily with different herbs etc but this is generally what I use. I begin by taking a medium sauce pan and heating a splash of olive oil, the garlic & brown onion on medium heat until the onion has softened. I then add the canned tomatoes and basil and stir till heated through. Lastly I'll taste the sauce and then add a sprinkle of salt and pepper to finish it off.

Sieve the pasta and then toss it through the sauce. I'll usually serve it with a sprinkle of feta cheese and some fresh basil from the garden and there you go. Hope you guys enjoyed this recipe! I'd love to see if you have a go making this so flick me a message or tag me in your pictures if you try it out for yourself. Hope you all have a fantastic week!

- Ruby x


Comments

Popular Posts

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *